Friday 17 August 2018

Are you aware of the Dust Explosion Hazards in your facility?

I have written some blogs answering questions which I have received during training sessions or by email from our clients. Today I am sharing my experience related to the awareness level of manufacturing companies related to Dust Explosion. 

I made a recent visit as part of a non-profitable project to one of the most widely used Detergent and soap brands in India. As soon as I reached the gate of the plant, it was clear that I have entered a plant which hasn't been too serious about safe operations or safety of employees, as I could see the workers moving without any footwear leaving their feet marks in the raw materials spilled on the floor. There was so much dust and detergent in the air that I could taste detergent on my tongue till the next day of my visit.



There were some experienced environmentalists (specifically air pollution experts) with me as well and they proposed to build a dust removal system which shall be connected over to a dust collector and then can be reused. Now, when I enquired about the nature of Raw Material powders, I came to know they use Maize Starch, Some Pigments, Some Surfactant (combustible and have dust explosion hazard as per MSDS) and some other non-combustible RMs. As per my discussion with the plant highest officials, plant safety in-charge, engineering heads and other relevant people present in the meeting (including the experienced environmentalists); it was clear that they never have given a thought to dust explosion, even when it is clearly written in the MSDS and is well known.

I have faced a similar experience when during a conference, a senior professional asked me that why haven't we faced any dust explosion in Delhi (India) when there are so many Dust Storms have happened recently. 

I visited a Noodles and Pasta manufacturing industry and was explaining the need for dust hazard assessment at their sites since they are using Wheat flour, All-purpose flour, sugar, etc. for production. It was made clear to me that no such hazards exist in their facility and I was told that "I am just trying to scare them" by one of the company's VPs.

There are sugar, pulse, flour, milk, corn flakes, starch powder and other food processing industries; metal dust handling industries such as wheel rim manufacturers, coating and extruding industries, etc.; Paint industries; Pharmaceutical and Chemical Industries; coal, activated carbon or charcoal handling industries among many more who face a risk of dust explosion hazards, but most of them apart from some industries in some sectors have never even thought about it. 

Recently, an article titled "Punjab to install 50000 dust collectors in grain market" was published on June 11 in “The Tribune” on "http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/punjab/punjab-to-install-50-000-dust-collectors-in-grain-markets/603651.html". I was curious to know that whether any thought has been given to the risk of Dust Explosion. Hence, I wrote to the editor of the newspaper and to the Pollution Control Board but never received a response. 

It has to be understood that just like any other fuel, dust in finer form (less than 500 microns) can form a cloud and can be ignited in presence of an ignition source of sufficient energy. Most of the organic materials and metals in fine form can act as fuel and can result in devastating consequences due to a dust explosion.

It is imperative for the authorities, manufacturing companies, process engineering companies and process safety companies to form a team together and spread the knowledge related to the risk of dust explosion to all players (small or big) around India and globally.

Hope we can make a difference sometime in the near future.

For any questions, comments and feedbacks; you can write to me on himanshuchichra@gmail.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment