Tuesday 30 October 2018

Risk Ranking:Essence of any Hazard Analysis

Recently, I was giving training on HAZOP and I got a question "Why do you say that our HAZOP is incomplete without risk ranking? We are doing the study since so long and no auditor or authorities have ever questioned us for the same." 

So this question has made me think about the situation Process Safety is facing. We know that oil & gas has developed more than other sectors including FMCG, Pharmaceutical, Chemical (Bulk & Speciality), etc. with far better standards for performing safety studies including PHAs. So, here I am writing this post to share the importance of risk ranking in any hazard analysis technique.



Many industrial facilities usually follow various Hazard Analysis techniques, such as Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment (HIRA), Hazard Identification (HAZID), Hazard and Operability (HAZOP), Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA), etc. which usually include identifying causes of deviations from design intent of a parameter, estimating consequences of the deviation, reviewing the existing safeguards in place to prevent the cause/ consequence or protect against the consequences and suggesting appropriate recommendations to make the operations safer.

In any hazard analysis study, we get multiple recommendations which have to be implemented, but the questions which most management and shareholders face are "In what order I should work on the recommendations? If some recommendation is high cost, can I reject that recommendation? How do I prioritise my work i.e. should I implement all low-cost recommendations first and I can delay high-cost recommendations till next budget approval?"

The answer to all these questions is "RISK RANKING".

Risk Ranking is the process of qualitatively determining the risk as a combination of severity and likelihood with the help of standard risk matrix. Based on this combination, risk prioritisation is carried out.
The severity should be determined for consequences related to Health & Safety, Environmental, Financial, Asset Damage and Reputation. The likelihood is basically the event frequency per year which should be based on the company as well as on historical databases. Different kinds of risk matrix are used within the industry with the most acceptable one being 5X5 Matrix. Some also use 6X6 matrix and 8X8 matrix. One example of a 5X4 matrix is shown below:


Companies usually differentiate various risk combinations into different zones (For Example, Red, Amber/Orange and Green as shown in the image above). Some of the zones definition being (Refer https://staub-ex.blogspot.com/2018/09/when-is-risk-low-enough-risk-acceptance.html for further guidance):
  • Green: Broadly Acceptable - Manage existing safeguards/ barriers to ensure continuous risk reduction when required.
  • Amber/Orange: Tolerable if ALARP - Risk measures shall be provided unless the costs of implementation of a recommendation are grossly disproportionate as compared to the benefits achieved or in other terms risk reduced.
  • Red: Unacceptable Risk - Activities to be terminated immediately (Highest Priority)
For a management, risk ranking defines which scenarios have to be handled with priority and which of them can be delayed further. For Amber/ Orange zone, many companies do ask for ALARP demonstration (which is, of course, the right way), however, some of them just live with the risk and some of them actually implement the recommendation even after being disproportionate.
Hence, one can say that without having the risk ranking, any Hazard Analysis study is incomplete as we are not prioritizing implementation of recommended controls and we might be overlooking the high-risk scenarios.


Now the next question people ask me is "How many places in a hazard analysis should I give risk ranking?"

A company should determine "Inherent Risk" i.e. Risk without any controls; "Current Risk" i.e. Risk in presence of existing safeguards; and "Residual Risk" i.e. Estimated Risk after implementation of the recommendations. For Example:


I hope that the importance of risk ranking can now be understood in a better manner. Do like, share and comment on the blog post and keep following for new updates. In case you have any questions, you can direct them on himanshuchichra@gmail.com.

21 comments:

  1. Everyone wants to get unique place in the IT industries for that you need to upgrade your skills, your blog helps me improvise my skill set to get good career, keep sharing your thoughts with us.
    iosh safety course in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  2. You delivered such an impressive piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain information. Thanks for sharing such information with us due to which my several concepts have been cleared. mosfet replacement

    ReplyDelete
  3. simple and compatible company risk matrix. good work

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! GRC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to be visiting your blog once more, it has been months for me. Well this article that ive been waited for therefore long. i want this article to finish my assignment within the faculty, and it has same topic together with your article. Thanks, nice share. buy google reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. link building

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stumbled upon your article and found it to be very thorough, well-written, and informative. Thank you for the time you put into writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your attempt to clarify the importance of risk ranking in any hazard analysis technique.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed... 대전스웨디시

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me. I'm happy I found this blog. Thank you for sharing with us,I too always learn something new from your post. รักษารอยแผลเป็นจาก สิว

    ReplyDelete
  11. This type of message always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content, so happy to find good place to many here in the post, the writing is just great, thanks for the post. textbook answers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. JAV

    ReplyDelete
  13. Im no expert, but I believe you just made an excellent point. You certainly fully understand what youre speaking about, and I can truly get behind that. JAV

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is really nice to read..informative post is very good to read..thanks a lot! เว็บคาสิโนออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have study all the remarks and recommendations posted with the aid of the site visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your subsequent article so only. Thanks!
    Buy Fiverr Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very excellent blog post. I am thankful for your blog post. I have found a lot of approaches after visiting your post. 온라인바둑이

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best! free nursing test banks

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much. 인디벳

    ReplyDelete
  19. I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious... detectives infidelidades

    ReplyDelete
  20. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. 먹튀검증

    ReplyDelete
  21. Information is pretty good and impressed me a lot. This article is quite in-depth and gives a good overview of the topic. If you are looking for Process Safety Gap Assessment than contact us.

    ReplyDelete